The Guggenheim Museum Bilbao presents a new series of videos where curators and artists discuss art
Today the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao is presenting the #GuggenheimBilbaoInsights project, the new series of videos led by the Museum’s curatorial department, where the curators talk with artists whose works are part of the Museum’s Collection.
This new digital initiative will be carried out between November 2020 and June 2021. Every month, the Museum will post a new instalment, always with the goal of sharing the artistic contents with the widest audience possible. The videos will be posted on the Museum website and shared via its social media: YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. Each piece will last around 20 minutes and will include images and audiovisual resources to illustrate the conversations in order to make them entertaining yet educational.
The encounters between the curators and artists will take place in the Museum, in the artist’s studio, or in both at the same time, depending on the location and possibilities at the time. Key issues will be discussed in these inspiring conversations to help viewers grasp each artist’s contribution to the art scene and reveal interesting facts about their career and vision. The richness of #GuggenheimBilbaoInsights will come from the diversity of topics and approaches, which will vary depending on the artist and curator, and on the complicity and interaction between the two.
To ensure this, each curator has chosen two artists with works in the Museum Collection and has developed a script for each of the encounters, which will be produced in the forthcoming months. The first video to open the series shows the conversation between Alyson Shotz and Manuel Cirauqui and was filmed simultaneously in the Museum and the artist’s studio in New York. Alyson Shotz (Arizona, USA, 1964) participated in the exhibition Art and Space curated at the Museum by Manuel Cirauqui in 2017, after which the Museum acquired her work Object for Reflection (2017). During their conversation, they will discuss issues related to the artist’s career, key concepts to understand her work (e.g., light and gravity), her outdoor installations, and her recent solo show.
The schedule of the first upcoming videos is:
• November 2020: Alyson Shotz and Manuel Cirauqui
• December 2020: José Manuel Ballester and Petra Joos
• January 2021: Ernesto Neto and Geaninne Gutiérrez-Guimarães
• February 2021: Itziar Okariz and Lucía Agirre
The curatorial team at the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao is made up of five art curators and a curatorial assistant, each of whom will bring their unique vision and career to the project. Below we introduce the team members, as well as some of the most recent exhibitions they have curated at the Museum:
• Lucía Agirre: A Museum curator since 2000, she has been responsible for exhibitions such as the ones showcasing Olafur Eliasson (2020), Thomas Struth (2019), Marc Chagall (2018), and Bill Viola (2017).
• Manuel Cirauqui: A Museum curator since 2016, he joined us from the Dia Art Foundation and has curated the exhibitions on William Kentridge (2020), Jesús Rafael Soto (2019), Henri Michaux (2018), and Art and Space (2017).
• Geaninne Gutiérrez-Guimaraes: A Guggenheim Museum Bilbao curator based at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York since 2015, where she also coordinates the Basque Artist Program. She has curated the exhibition devoted to Lygia Clark (2020).
• Lekha Hileman Waitoller: She joined the Museum as a curator in October 2019 from the Art Institute of Chicago. She is currently preparing two shows for 2021.
• Petra Joos: A Museum curator since 2000, she has curated exhibitions including the ones featuring Jenny Holzer (2019), Alberto Giacometti (2018), Georg Baselitz (2017), and Louise Bourgeois (2016).
• Marta Blavia: A curatorial assistant since 2006, she has worked on the exhibitions dedicated to Kandinsky (2020) and Richard Artschwager (2019), among others, as well as on the Film & Video program.
Guggenheim Museum Bilbao
Marketing and Communications Department
+34 94 435 90 08